Monday 22 January 2018

Double-faith: Ghandi and non-violence

Mahatma Ghandi said:
"Non-violence and truth are inseparable and presuppose one another."
"Non-violence is not a garment to be put on and off at will. Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our being."
"Nonviolence is the first article of my faith. It is also the last article of my creed."
"Non-violence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man."
"Non-violence, which is the quality of the heart, cannot come by an appeal to the brain."

And
"Non-violence requires a double faith, faith in God and also faith in man."

A Lullaby for Ghandi

What does it take to hold your ground?
What does it take to stand and stay still?
What does it take to stare into hate?
How can I not run away?
Empty my mind of the fear.
Empty my will of reply.
Empty my heart of revenge.
Let them go. Let them go.

And Stop ... my hand
And Still ... my arm
And Soft ... my voice
Singing the soldiers to sleep.


What does it take to hold out your hand?
What does it take to stand by my side?
What does it take to see with my eyes?
How can you not run away?

Empty your mind of your fear.
Empty your will of reply.
Empty your heart of revenge.
Let them go. Let them go.

And Stop ... your guns
And Still ... your crews
And Soft ... your drums
Beating the public alarm. 


What does it take to share the embrace?
What does it take to stand Up for all?
What does it take to see Humanity?
How can we not run away?
Empty our mind of our fear.
Empty our ‘right of reply’. 
Empty our heart of revenge.
Let them go. Let them go.

And Stop ... our lies
And Still ... our fights
And Soft ... our prayers
Calling for fires to cease.
(C) 2018, A.Koh-Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.