Saturday 19 June 2021

Thirty Years (and Three for me)

From 2018 to 2020 I was a member of the Leigh Fijian Congregation, an active part of Parramatta Mission. The choice to be a member there was not mine, it was Terry's. He reasoned that the singing would be better. (It was pretty good!) As a Minister in Placement with Parramatta Mission and Multifaith Chaplain to Western Sydney University, I needed to hold my membership in one of the congregations of the Mission. The others both had Ministers in Placement looking after the congregations. The Fijians were without a Placement at the time, so I reasoned it was logical for me to join that community with Terry. I might be some use to them.

The bonus was that they were a tight-knit, yet welcoming community. Initially, I think they thought we were a bit strange, but that was ok. Unlike many Uniting Congregations, the Leigh Fijians had plenty of children and teens and young adults. I had met some of them through multicultural youth events, so we already had a few connections. I had also known a son of the congregation - Sitiveni Rogoimuri - who I had studied with at College and then helped to recruit to the Synod staff in South Australia. 

I have referenced my time with Leigh Fijians and some of the impact they had on me in other posts and academic publications, but this reflection is a bit more personal and corporate. Why both? because what I write comes from deep in my heart and it is also about people I regard now as kin - these people are family. We are bound in the love of Christ. They have loved me and I love them.

This is a community that is biblically and theologically literate. This is partly because they have embraced their place within the Uniting Church. They are active in the Fijian National Conference. They have an effective way of developing and encouraging leaders and have encouraged a number of people to Candidate for Ordained and Lay Ministries in the UCA. A significant number of members study or have studied at United Theological College. They have been perfectly at home having the former Principal of the College as their Supply Minister. He, in turn, has gently and firmly kept them at the task of continuing to explore post-colonial, eco-theological and intercultural readings of scripture and articulations of theology.

They are a theologically fairly progressive congregation, prepared to struggle with issues that lead to difficult conversations about culture, heritage and language. They do not simply follow trends or acquiesce to pressures from leadership. They do show respect and courtesy under almost all circumstances. 

The community does not focus inwards. The BULA Feeding Ministry is an example of the ongoing commitment to serve others with the love of Christ. They see people in need and choose to sacrifice themselves to do something about it. There are many leaders in this congregation. They do not pull against one another. Rather, they organise themselves to be effective, negotiating using the complex behaviours of Fijian culture. It works much of the time in Sydney, but not always.

A great strength of the community is a bunch of passionate believing young people. Unfortunately, Fijian cultural systems do not always allow such young people to use their initiative, but the leaders do try to encourage them and puzzle their way through. Relationships always trump systems in this community... praise be to the Triune God!

While I believe the Fijian culture is one of BULA - welcome hospitality - I also recognise that the BULA extended by the Leigh Fijians is somewhat special. This community has people of the different islands/provinces of Fiji. There will always be some relational awareness about differences within the community. Nevertheless, my experience has been one of graciousness extended to outsiders, not expecting us to become insiders, but helping us to be at home in the community.

A couple of examples immediately spring to mind:

- when I was being a bit of a Youth Talatala and sitting close to the children, people realised that Terry might need a little extra help, he always had one of the men sit close by, keeping an eye on him

- when people notices I was making the effort to dress out of respect for the Islander women (with a long skirt) I was gifted a Chamba... to this day, I suspect someone snuck into my room at night and measured me up - how else could they get the size right?

The hardest two years of my life (the years before and after Terry's death) were spent with these good people. It was Terry who kept saying to me - "these are good people". He meant it. It calmed him to be among them. The last time he came home from hospital, knowing he would be 'going to glory' soon, his one wish was to go to church to be 'with these good people' one last time. He wanted to pray for them and bless them before he went. After his passing, they cared for me - gently and carefully. Their faith helped me to stay grounded. The community experienced multiple bereavements in those two years. We held each other, cried together and shared in small and great things.   

One of the highlights for me was going with this church family to the Fijian National Conference in Adelaide. I sang in the choir and made my Chambas (top and skirt sets) for the Kolavata (matching my community). I was made to feel I belonged to these people and they belonged to me. As a fresh widow, this was a great comfort. 

During the COVID lockdown months we sang on SMULE - a Karaoke program that enabled us to share songs and upload voices without any of the problems of benefits of editing! We also watched as different households outdid one another (online) in the seasonal decorating for events such as Palm Sunday. It was wonderful watching each other online.

I cannot write about this period without noting some special relationships. I had the great joy of mentoring Sam and Ofa in their Periods of Discernment. Ini and Alison were also more like Peer Mentors. I enjoyed a supportive and generous relationship with Talatala Associate Professor Rev Dr Clive Pearson. He and Talatala Mary were my Ministers as well as being great colleagues. I learnt from them and hopefully helped them a bit with technology during those COVID months. We also encouraged one another to learn some Fijian language and culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.