Saturday 8 April 2017

Bent-over Woman

The Bent-over Woman

That is how they know me…
“The Bent-over woman”
Never mind, I wasn't always that way.
I used to be tall and graceful and lovely,
Or so my aunties said.
Being bent involves
never looking directly at anyone,
Peering instead with a sideways twist.
Being bent involves different choices:
I can cook over a low fire,
but I cannot reach the clothes line.
I see the world at a different angle.
People speak over mr – literally.
I have to think about where I am going
And what time I am going there
As I cannot see in front of myself easily.
So, I plan ahead.

Going to the Synagogue on the Sabbath
Took a lot of planning.
No one expected me there.
No one expected me to walk out,
straight and tall, either.
They argued about the Sabbath,
But I just needed to see him…
The Healer.
I would have done or promised anything
And he asked for nothing.
I will honour him forever.

(Luke 13:10-17)

© 2017, A.Koh-Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.