Saturday 10 June 2023

Tiny Home

The challenge of moving house is what to take and what to leave behind. I was widowed three years ago and still had many of the items of a ‘family home’. When I took a Mission role and agreed to move to either Singapore or London, I knew I could no longer justify living in a multi-room house. This meant I would have to do the Marée Kondo and say thanks a goodbye to lots of ‘stuff’. I have passed on many treasures and kept some precious items which have stories representative of life, love, community and special places.

On moving to Singapore, I soon discovered that the ‘relocation allowance’ generously provided by CWM would probably cover up to a month of hotel accommodation. However, the fixed monthly accommodation allowance had been based on pre-pandemic rental conditions. My allowance would cover a studio in a condominium or a 1BR+living unit in HDB (housing development board Govt-sponsored housing). I also discovered that in Singapore, we pay 2 months rent to the agent on top of the bond and rent - all to be paid up-front. 

You can’t open a bank account easily without a home address. You can’t easily get a lease without a bank account. Welcome to the realities of migration. While homelessness seemed to be beckoning, I was helped by prayerful collègues and managed to secure a loft/1 Bed apartment in a nice Condo in a very convenient area. I now live at Tanah Merah, only 7 metro stops to work at Lavender and only 2 metro stops to the airport. With the amount I travel, this is really an answer to prayer.

My little loft suits me fine - for I am vertically challenged! I get about 4-5cm clearance to the ceiling, when I am standing beside the bed. No taller people will really want to come and stay, but you can come and visit and I will take you to a Hawker Centre for a very nice meal! My little kitchen is fine for one, but did not come with an oven, so I have bought an air-fryer… I felt the same way about doing that as I am sure my grandmother did about buying a microwave… a new adventure in home economics and the excuse to try new recipes!

Living in a tiny space challenges me about repurposing, consumerism and thinking very carefully about any acquisition. I now have a capsule wardrobe and can travel for 2 weeks pretty easily with only carry-on that includes two laptops - which in developing places is more important than having clothes anyway.. .

My tiny loft...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.