Friday 24 January 2020

Evocation #41 Missing Gold

It sits just below my throat,
that small chunk of gold,
hanging off a chain,
invisible while on display.
Not so long ago, you had it resized,
for your fingers were thinning,
along with everything else.

It dropped off one day,
as I was changing you,
in the hospital.
We laughed - and you fixed it.
You took a trip to the Jewellers
while I was away,
To ensure I never saw it
missing from your finger.

Now - your finger is missing.
Along with the rest of you.
Your questions and answers,
your insatiable appetite for companionship,
Your playfulness and your concern for the world...
missing.

I know, because I wander
from room to room, trying to figure out
what is missing
and what I am meant to do next.
It is you - you are missing.
Your golden circle reminds me...
Covenant broken or fulfilled or...
missing.

Nothing seems to have a place anymore.
I move items around with curiosity,
seeing if anything can find a home anymore.
Not sure.
I’ll try it and see.
No-one to ask.
No-one to tell.
Making decisions was never so exhausting before.

Who am I kidding...
Everything about the last six years was exhausting,
Yet it was also exhilarating...
before you went missing.
Now the exhaustion has a different flavour...
Missing flavour...
Lack of flavour...

Gold cannot buy
what is not there.

(C) A A Koh-Butler, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.