Tuesday 7 April 2020

Prayer for Quarantine

The practice of quarantine, as we know it, began during the 14th century in an effort to protect coastal cities from plague epidemics. Ships arriving in Venice from infected ports were required to sit at anchor for 40 days before landing. This practice, called quarantine, was derived from the Italian words quaranta giorni which mean 40 days.

These lines could be broken up over fourteen days of quarantining...

.....

1
Let me begin with you, O God,
For you are every beginning, the Author of all life.

2.
As I take a breath and plan the coming days,
Guide my thinking and my planning.

3. 
Remind me who you are 
and what you have done
And what you promise...
Mostly, let me remember your promise of eternal Life!

4. 
As I wonder what is still to come, I humbly ask:
Please don’t let me be sick. 
Built if I do, help me get through it 
without putting others at risk.

5. 
Give me grace when I get cross with others.
Give me patience when I get frustrated with myself.

6. 
Let me celebrate this day - it was given by you 
- and you have placed me in it.
May this day be a day of blessings.

7. 
May I rest in your arms, O God.

8. 
As I approach the phases of continuing this discipline 
I take the opportunity to spiritually stocktake my life.
Show me, Lord, your ways - teach me your paths.

9.
How can I reflect you today, Lord?
What if your creativity finds a place in my soul?

10.
Are you doing a new thing today, O God?
What has died in the life I once knew? 
What must I bury and leave behind?
What will emerge from these days (and weeks)?

11. 
So many questions, O God...
So few answers...
I struggle with the way forward.
I wonder. I wait.
I wait upon you.

12. 
Is this my time of rest and renewal.
It feels a little frustrating, but I have entered a new rhythm.
Is this a new form of monasticism.
Did you like that era, O God?
Are you inviting us into a deeper companionship?

13.
In this Baker’s dozen, I am trying something new today.
I pray - I wait - I listen for the sounds of holiness and sanctification.
Are you changing me? Is my body strengthening?
Do I feel cleansed? 

14. 
I have had a detox of sorts.
I have learnt to be with myself and you.
I did not know their intimacy and even now I am unsure what this holy friendship means.
I rely on you to take us forward - you and I.
Bring me into tomorrow.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.