Thursday 2 March 2017

Martha

Ashes  

Martha

So, now, some hours after that corrective word,
I get to sweep and clean the ashes from the hearth.
Now, I get to think, beyond the confusion of instruction
that challenges all I have been and have known.

Who are we? To move beyond the roles assigned
by tradition and habit and respect?
Who is He? To call me so, out of my rightful place
into his new and fearful righteousness?
Who is my sister? The little one I nursed and loved,
whose tears I dried when our mother died.

I look upon these ashes and wonder,
can I ever return to knowing my place in this world?
when Heaven reveals opportunity, creativity,
equity in the eyes of One I love most?
How, then, can we continue in this world,
knowing the oppression of expectation?

(Luke 10:38-42)

(C) 2017, A.Koh-Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.