Thursday 2 March 2017

Mary of Bethany - Choosy

Choosy

Mary of Bethany

Most teachers would not know my name.
Most teachers would not care.
Those power-mongers do not know
That I am even there.

Yet, Jesus uses my own name
And speaks into my heart.
He tells them to leave me alone
My choice – the better part!

So lonely to be questioning
My comments I would swallow
Yet only by hearing him
Am I able to follow.

But others would tear me from the room
And keep me at the sink.
They cannot let me ask or speak.
They will not let me think.

O sisters all – come kneel with me
Come join me at his feet.
Come Martha and come Lazarus
Draw near your learning seat.

When learning is withheld from us
We cannot receive grace.
We must chose to be present
And take the blessing place.

We do not do this out of greed
But in response to call
For it is God’s sacred gift to us
That blessing be for all.

Our service, then, is not to Christ
But from Christ to all others.
God blesses us to bless the world
As daughters, sisters, mothers.

Yes, Jesus uses all our names
Speaking into our hearts.
We learn to chose the blessing work
Our choice – the better part!

(Luke 10:38-42)

(C) 2017, A.Koh-Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.