Monday 6 March 2017

Orpah

Orpah's Song - The Other Widow

[Aayeee! Aaaughaa!]

My silent cries within
Are held in check.
I have no place or position to wail and weep.

Oh Mahlon, why have you left my bed
To sleep with those who cannot bear?
What comfort do you find there?

Oh Mother - not of my birth, but of my right
And kinship claim,
Do not desert me. Do not leave.

The mother of my childhood sent me to you.
You are the Mother who taught me womanhood.
Do not cut me off from my only comfort.

Oh Sister Ruth - you cannot leave!
We came together, shunned by all
To marry these strange others.
You are my link to life.

And so, they leave...
All whom I have loved...
Left me alone in a Land called home
But with no heart.

So, now I remain,
A stranger
A foreigner
A widow
No-one

(The Book of Ruth)

(C) 2017, A.Koh-Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.