Sunday 2 July 2017

1. A Spirit Psalm of Confession


So much goodness promised
in the single grain of rice,
or wheat, or barley…

Yet, in times of drought
we are deceived by the potential,
mistaking it for a reality…
The tall stalk pretends to contain life
but may in fact only offer empty husks,
useful only as fibre to clean out our systems,
good only to carry out,
discard and waste.

We feel the betrayal of our own hopes.
We regret taking the time to dream.
The joy of past promises
turns to anger and frustration.
Why did we dare to have faith?
Why did we commit our steps for uncertain miracles?
Yet, O Divine Friend, I yearn for another promise.
I wait upon your next possibility.
I wonder what you will ask of us next.

I ask, even as I fear your answers,
not because I do not trust you,
but because I do.
You ask me to become more than I am.
You call us to be a community beyond ourselves.
You make us and remake us
and stretch us and challenge us.
I recognise the growing pains
and I know there are more to come.

So I ask, for myself, that your Spirit
measures my breath, my heart, my soul.
So we ask, for one another, that your Spirit
rests upon this community
and gentles us into your ways.

And may your will be done on earth
as it is in heaven,
And may we be on earth
as it will be evermore.
Amen.


(C) 2017, A.Koh-Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.