Sunday 2 July 2017

11. Preparation for Prophetic work


They were braver than I, those prophets of old.
They put their lives on the line to speak Truth to power.
What will you ask of me? Not my life, surely!

They spoke up for those who could not speak,
but I do not yet know if I can speak your words.
What will you ask of me? I have not words of my own!

They told parables and stories to prove their cause,
but I fear I am no forensic journalist,
able to produce the details on cue.
What will you ask of me? I am no researcher!

They were respected and feared by the people,
but the people of God do not agree
on prophecy these days… let alone who might utter it!
What will you ask of me? I speak on behalf of no-one!

And still – I listen to the Spirit
as I read your scriptures and pray for guidance.
I do know some Truth.
I believe you are a God of Justice and Peace.
I believe you would have us act out of Love.
So it is, today, and every day, I will speak up
and name injustice and violence and hatred.
I will speak for the sake of Truth.
For Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

(C) 2017, A.Koh-Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.