Monday 10 February 2020

Evocation #52 Young People

Observing interactions, enjoying the laughter and joyfulness,
Missing you is amplified by the knowledge -
They look for you too.
How many youngsters have sought your wisdom?
You were always more of a youth worker than I,
Always more of a teacher,
Always more of a mentor.
You suited young people and they suited you.
What a match!

They come to tell me how much they miss you,
Longing for the smile and laugh,
the word that makes identity whole.
So do I, my love,
and the longing tingles with memories
sharply piercing the demeanor I struggle to maintain.

I am working so hard to carry peace with me,
for these young ones are still so full of the life you encouraged.
I want to honour what you started
but so much feels shallow without you here.
I drink another glass of water, gasp another lungful of oxygen
And set myself on task - to keep my eye on young people.
Our priorities have not really changed.

(C) A A Koh-Butler, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.