Monday 20 January 2020

Evocation #36 Hanging with Evangelicals

“The gates of hell will not prevail...”
There is something comforting about being
in an evangelical rally
and knowing there will be an altar call.

As part of recovering from the efforts of end-of-life, death and a ‘Thanksgiving’,
I chose to retreat by driving to Melbourne and going to the Wesleyan Methodist National Conference on Philip Island.
I’m hanging with evangelicals...
Here are my reflections...

______

“God took a loser and chose Him!
Amen!”

I meet people who speak a different language
Yet I recognise the family resemblance.
I have met these people before and they love God.
Is it the same God I worship?
Sometimes hard to tell.
Your God is unknown to me.
Your story is too funky, strange, unfamiliar...
Your should have seen my husband!

Can I imagine Terry in this space?
[peels of laughter]
What would they have made of the earrings and the Mohawk?
What would he have said about their expressions of worldview?
How would he have responded to the ingrained behaviours about classifying humanity?
The prophetic presence of my spiritual companion is missing.

I speak truths into a community
where I am nervous about my contribution.
I am welcomed and loved,
but how I wish the Troublemaker was here.
The Troublemaker had an aura about him.
He was terrifying and charismatic.
He spoke truth
whether it was welcome or not.
He did not care if anyone judged him
for he already knew God’s capacity to love ...
He had already learnt to love those whom God loved...
Without exception.

What I so deeply miss is
the constant guiding voice and presence
of the embodied divine conscience in my life.
I have to learn to listen differently now.
I yearn for the voice calling me back to life’s truths.
I miss the voice of my soul.

So - I’m hanging with evangelicals.
“Jesus loves every human - the ground at the foot of the cross is level”...
Challenge comes as I hear this mob struggle
with racism and sexism and a raft of other excuses for their narrow judgmentalisms.
They are humans - God loves them.
They are sinners - and God calls them to service.
They minister to me - and I am humbled.
 In my loss and distress, I am blest by the unexpected face of God.

O beloved - I miss you so.
You would have hated this rally,
And the altar call...
but they would have loved you.
O beloved - I miss you so.



(C) A A Koh-Butler, 2020

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful words streaming with loving and longing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.