Monday 13 March 2017

Abishag

Death of a Wannabe (Abishag – Adonijah’s ruin)

After David's death Adonijah (David's fourth and eldest surviving son), persuaded Bathsheba, Solomon's mother, to entreat the king to permit him to marry Abishag. Solomon suspected in this request an aspiration to the throne, and therefore caused Adonijah to be put to death (1 Kings 2:17–25).

My father caused me to wander,
Had me train as nursing aide.
I traveled to give comfort -
To be the caring maid.

So virtuous and comely
My reputation known
And I was sought to serve
The one who’d taken Israel’s throne.

A prince saw my value
And on his death did ask:
O Mother, seek for me the maid
And let this be your task:

Request that Solomon the Wise
Give this girl as my wife.
But wisdom saw through the scheme -
The dowry was his life.

So wandered I from Father’s home
To David’s camp and royal palace.
Invited to exchange my bed
I lost its chance through Kingly malice.

Such was my story – nothing more
Is said of me – silent gap -
Just another working-woman
Helping men to take a nap!

© 2017, A.Koh-Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.