Tuesday 21 March 2017

Salome

Salome

Finest of homespun is dyed many hue
So I might twirl in my dances for you
May my movements glisten as I spin
Chiffon flutters with shiny sequins.

Click, wink and flourish to rhythms I sway
Lunging and lifting, I point the way
Pricey, my dance, and more for my bed
Give me a gift of the prophet John’s head.

Strike up a band to play me a tune.
Give me the floor – give me the room.
Find me a pole to swing and to dip.
I’ll make me a killing with my next tip.

(The named ‘Salome’ is often identified with the dancer
in Mark 6:17-29 and Matthew 14:3-11.)

© 2017, A.Koh-Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.