Tuesday 21 March 2017

Mary and Elizabeth

Annunciation

It was an unexpected visit.
The Messenger’s arrival shocked.
Her ‘test results’ were unlooked for
So I thought the marriage blocked.
When I showed Joe the report
I believed his grounds to turn away,
But Joe told me of his dream
And his knowing I should stay.
So I have come for comfort as
Our family was not so glad.
They are trying to save face
Believing I am very bad.
Knowing that you are with child,
It’s seemly here to seek a midwife.
Were I to see one closer by,
We’d only cause further strife.

I’m glad you came – it is true.
Welcome, my dear, sit close by.
By being here, you’re safe for now.
We speak truth – no need to lie.
I know your babe will be alright -
Seems strange but feel my own – he leaps!
Yours nearby is comforting…
Place your hand - feel yours – he sleeps…
These two unborn - proud mothers’ sons
Are subjects in Rome’s occupation
Their fulfilment, still to come,
Will see them challenge King and nation.

(Luke 1:26-38)

© 2017, A.Koh-Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I look forward to hearing from you.
When making a comment, please remember this is a site frequented by young people and those who may not be up with your jargon.